Saturday, July 30, 2005

14 days and counting...

The King's ball is exactly 2 weeks away from today. SCARY. Remember how I said that I'll stop being anxious. Well, it's not working. I tried not thinking about it when I'm in bed, I tried to focus on something else, I even tried to read a novel !! Well, the novel thing work for half an hour each time I pick it up. I think the only thing that actually keep me occupied right now is my lab report which is due this coming Tuesday. It's about the role of NMDA receptor in memory and learning. It is a very interesting topic but at the same time, it also is a pain in the .... !!!! I would happily type up my lab report if the results of my experiment have "*" which means there is a significant difference between the treatment groups and that my experiment worked and that it actually produce something worth writing about. But noooooooooooo... when my lab partners typed in the numbers and did statistical analysis on the results... it all came up with "ns" = not significant. Aaaaargh !!!

So what could I write? The worse part of it is... the experiment suppose to work. It'd been proven soooooooooo many times that it actually worked !! So what went wrong?? Well, probably it's because we had a pretty fat mouse to begin with and I doubt that it do a lot of exercise during its lifetime. C'mon, if I was the mouse with heated cage and constant supply of food and water, I wouldn't do much either. But I wouldn't want the be a lab mouse for all the money in the world. Considering what we did with it in the lab. We put it in a pool and let it swim around trying to find a hidden platform, then we injected a drug called CPP which supposedly stopping it from learning, move a platform to a new place and put the poor mouse in the pool again. I was sure by the end of the 2nd session, the mouse was extremely agitated and angry with us and probably want a revenge as soon as it's big enough and manage to escape the lab technicians somehow. I even thought I saw it give me an evil grin.... nah, I'm exaggerating... the lab lasts for the whole 4 hours and I was extremely tired and hungry. I see things when I'm very tired. Oh have I told you that I named it "Spunky"? Yeah.. I think it's a cool name for such a brave cute lil' mouse. I got lightly told off by the demonstrator though for naming the mouse.

Anyway, better get back to my lab report. I have to head off early tomorrow and I want to do some more typing befor I get into bed.

No comments: